Behavioural and Cognitive Neurosciences
University of Groningen
Course: Behavioural and Cognitive Neurosciences
Type: Master of Science (MSc)
Tuition Fees: €1713
This Research Master’s programme is organized by the School of Life Sciences with a strong scientific input of the KNAW-accredited research School for Behavioural and Cognitive Neurosciences ‘BCN’. BCN operates at the interface between five faculties: the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, the Faculty of Medical sciences, the Faculty of Behavioural and Social Sciences, the Faculty of Arts, and the Faculty of Philosophy. This means that almost all aspects of neuroscience research are covered and experts are present to teach all aspects of this fascinating field.
The programme consists of three different yet related tracks. While becoming an expert in one specialist track, the integrated courses and links between these tracks ensure a unique chance of a truly multi-disciplinary training. The programme focuses on three areas of particular strength within BCN:
- Animal and human behaviour
- Cognitive neuroscience and cognitive modelling
- Molecular and clinical neuroscience
While each track contains a number of more traditional modules, emphasis is on active participation in research. Key features of the programme are a minor and major research project. These are carried out by the students in the first and second year. Students are encouraged to plan at least one research project abroad. The programme is essentially tailor-made: depending on the student’s research interests or future career aspirations the student can design his/her own programme.
The aim of the Research Master’s programme is to provide students will all knowledge and skills required to be highly competitive in the subsequent PhD projects as well as societal positions. International experience will increase their international compatibility and appreciation. Because of the multi-disciplinary training, BCN Research Master students positively distinguish themselves by having acquired the ability to grasp the bigger picture and to quickly familiarize themselves with new fields and methodologies.
- The basic requirement for this Research Master’s programme is a Bachelor’s degree of three years, in a related field at a satisfactory university level
- Selection of the candidates based on their CV, their motivation letter, their degrees and their English proficiency (TOEFL score of 580/237/92 or IELTS 6.5) will precede the admission.
- The Admission Board of the programme reserves the right to decide on access to the programme.